[Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:26:22 PDT 2019

I'll float motions from our video conference into separate email thread for
voting on.

Topics for discussion from this meeting:
Jared Morgan has ideas about structuring documentation. Let's discuss how
we capture this. Andrew Jeffry has written getting started suggestions.
What should we do about incorporating these? We have new volunteers, let's
discuss how to engage them effectively. We have the potential to integrate
OSGeoLive Quickstart (and maybe Project Overview) into QGIS docs. How
should we approach this? We can potentially attract external training
material into the docs. We probably won’t have time to discuss this in
depth in this meeting. (There are also others interested in this topic).

Chat backchannel from this meeting.

Alexandre Netohere!
20:06
Unknown senderLittle chat here
20:06
Jared Morgan
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eWpqmZHFiuoUhcCPcf9VTFrs2ol53A-Ha9in8sbiwlU/edit
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1eWpqmZHFiuoUhcCPcf9VTFrs2ol53A-Ha9in8sbiwlU%2Fedit>
20:06
Alexandre NetoYou are having a big lag richard
20:08
Unknown senderI do not have sound
20:08
Unknown senderJust stopped video to hopefully have better signal
20:09
You
https://divioag2017-live-e9fe0b8244c24280878375-8ae4759.divio-media.net/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/2f/b9/2fb95dd1-94be-4ad6-8180-7162ed6d5ecc/what_nobody_tells_you_about_documentation_extract_3001.png__1920x1080_q90_subsampling-2.png
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdivioag2017-live-e9fe0b8244c24280878375-8ae4759.divio-media.net%2Ffiler_public_thumbnails%2Ffiler_public%2F2f%2Fb9%2F2fb95dd1-94be-4ad6-8180-7162ed6d5ecc%2Fwhat_nobody_tells_you_about_documentation_extract_3001.png__1920x1080_q90_subsampling-2.png>
20:21
Youhttps://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.divio.com%2Fblog%2Fdocumentation%2F>
20:21
Richard Duivenvoorde
https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction/vector_data.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fqgis.org%2Ftest%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Fgentle_gis_introduction%2Fvector_data.html>
20:21
Richard Duivenvoorde^^ that is A Gentle Intro
20:22
Richard Duivenvoorde
https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/training_manual/forestry/index.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fqgis.org%2Ftest%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Ftraining_manual%2Fforestry%2Findex.html>
20:25
Richard DuivenvoordeMaybe better:
20:26
Richard Duivenvoorde
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/training_manual/forestry/index.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Ftraining_manual%2Fforestry%2Findex.html>
20:26
Alexandre NetoWe have this:
20:29
Alexandre Netohttps://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2F3.4%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Fdocumentation_guidelines%2F>
20:29
Matteo Ghetta
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/training_manual/appendix/contribute.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Ftraining_manual%2Fappendix%2Fcontribute.html>
20:35
Matteo Ghetta
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/training_manual/appendix/contribute.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Ftraining_manual%2Fappendix%2Fcontribute.html>
20:36
Richard Duivenvoordehi
20:36
Alexandre NetoCan you get a link for that?
20:37
Andrew Jeffrey
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eWpqmZHFiuoUhcCPcf9VTFrs2ol53A-Ha9in8sbiwlU/edit
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1eWpqmZHFiuoUhcCPcf9VTFrs2ol53A-Ha9in8sbiwlU%2Fedit>
20:38
Jared Morganhttps://riedmann.dev/2019/06/02/GitGud.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Friedmann.dev%2F2019%2F06%2F02%2FGitGud.html>
20:38
Richard DuivenvoordeNote that the 'latest' version is always in the
'testing' part:
20:42
Richard Duivenvoorde
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Fdocumentation_guidelines%2Ffirst_contribution.html>
20:42
Alexandre Netoand there's also the Sphinx syntax... as a blocker
20:43
Andrew JeffreyYes! I copied and pasted a lot of that from other parts in
the doc
20:43
Matteo Ghettahttp://rst.ninjs.org/#
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=http%3A%2F%2Frst.ninjs.org%2F%23>
20:45
Alexandre Neto
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/writing.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Fdocumentation_guidelines%2Fwriting.html>
20:46
Alexandre NetoJared can you paste that link about git?
20:50
Jared MorganYep already done above.
20:50
Jared Morganhttps://pypi.org/project/rstdoc/
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fpypi.org%2Fproject%2Frstdoc%2F>
could be a possible way to get a coarse conversion.
20:55
Richard DuivenvoordeThere is also:
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/trainingmaterial/index.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fqgis.org%2Fen%2Fsite%2Fforusers%2Ftrainingmaterial%2Findex.html>
20:56
Richard DuivenvoordeCameron, where is the quick intro from osgeo-live?
21:04
Andrew JeffreyIs this it
https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html#qgis-quickstart
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Flive.osgeo.org%2Fen%2Fquickstart%2Fqgis_quickstart.html%23qgis-quickstart>
21:05
Alexandre Netohttps://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html
<https://hangouts.google.com/_/elUi/chat-redirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Flive.osgeo.org%2Fen%2Fquickstart%2Fqgis_quickstart.html>
21:05
YouJo Walsh, do you want to say anything?
21:05
Jo CookJo Cook, not Jo Walsh, but no not right now
21:05
YouOops, sorry Jo.

--
Cameron Shorter