[Qgis-community-team] Documentation meeting report during HF

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:51:49 PST 2019

A sex, 8/03/2019, 12:11, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> escreveu:

> * branch 3.4 and release ASAP (during this hackfest): pending PR should
> be backported anyways. We know this can lead to some additional effort,
> but we realized that it is very important for users see and have an
> official LTR manual

And the possibility to document and merge 3.6+ features

> * change the current "Docs in progress" banner to something more
> friendly: "This is an user driven documentation, if you want to
> contribute see the guidelines []) or something similar

I would suggest to do this for the master branch, and add a similar text
somewhere else in the 3.4 documentation. Probably just once in the main
index or something.

* promote "fix me" button (moving it to another position where people
> can see it immediately)

We could create a blog post about it, and have it for some time in QGIS
front page slider.

> * given that we really really need some other people to help us we
> decided that PR should have some mandatory step (not breaking the code,
> not wrong documentation) and some optional step (images, icons, syntax,
> ..). This could be added as a checklist in the PR text and, if the
> mandatory steps are respected, than we can merge the PR and fix the
> optional step in a second moment.

We can still discuss, probably in a separate thread, which should these
mandatory requirements be and make that visible in the guidelines.

* core committers can merge PR after 15 days if no review is there.

I suggested 15 days, but it can be any other period that everyone is
comfortable with. Obviously we expect the core commiter to respect the
mandatory requirements.

BTW, we had also too extra topics that have been discussed that look
promissing.

1 - picking Denis idea of automatically create screenshots for
documentation, William started to work on a plugin where we can use to
replicate a certain QGIS environment (a project) and take screenshots of
several dialogs, either manually, or semi-automatically.

2 - some folks started to dig on how we could test the code snippets in the
PyQGIS cookbook. That would allow us to easily spot outdated code.

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto
--
Alexandre Neto