[Qgis-community-team] QGIS docs: Vanilla build & ReadTheDocs theme

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 15 13:03:30 PDT 2019

For those interested,

We've been playing around with a more vanilla use of Sphinx to build the
documentation:

1) because the transifex (and hopefull Github) integration should be
better now with newer Sphinx (not ready yet)
2) to make it possible for EVERYBODY to build the docs on both Windows,
Linux (and probably also Macs) by creating an Python virtual env and run
the default Sphinx make/bat file
3) because the vanilla ReadTheDocs theme is responsive.

If you want to test, I made a little pet-project:

https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/qgisdoc

With a very small subset of the manual, so a quick build.

I also did a full (english) build and uploaded here:

https://qgis.org/test/en/

Still need some styling stuff and work to make it possible to switch
between versions and languages.

Not sure if I want to do the pdf generation again, but we could if we
want (as on the source nothing has changed).

All this to give nobody an excuse to build and write documentation :-)

Regards & let us know what you think,

Richard Duivenvoorde