[Qgis-community-team] QGIS docs: Vanilla build & ReadTheDocs theme

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 01:37:52 PDT 2019

Hi Alexandre,

> I also have my list of improvements for that, but I think it would be
> better to stabilize the usage of the theme and it's options first, and
> then do the improvements on top of that.

+1

> Besides, you probably know that already, but there's a way to separate
> our theme tweaks from the original read the docs theme. We really need
> to do it the right way so we can update the theme whenever we need.

I don't have direct experience with that, but for other stuff I use you
have a separate `custom` folder where you put custom css and js so that
they will not be overwritten by a theme update

> Related subject: we talked about splitting the QGIS docs content. Will
> we keep using sphinx for the static content?
>
> If so, and assuming we are going to use the same theme, it would be
> better to share it via submodele, otherwise, any theme tweak must be
> replicated twice.

we are in the middle of many different changes in the doc (too many in a
short time :) ).

But yes, personally I'm in favor of splitting the docs (static vs
dynamic) as we discussed. So you are suggesting to use git submodules?
Do you have experience in maintaining them?

Cheer and thanks

Matteo