[Qgis-community-team] Report of QGIS documentation meeting

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Mar 23 15:02:29 PDT 2019

On 23/03/2019 21.21, DelazJ wrote:
>     -4- use common images (in static/common) folder with relative paths.
>     This would make that we do not need to (cannot) use the search-replace
>     script, and as can use sources/static/common as img folder, git*.com
>     will show them. I 'think' this makes it easier for writers.
>     If they add a common img, they just drop it in the source/static/common
>     folder (no copying/linking needed) and try out the right relative link.
>     Disadvantages: we have to instruct to use the width/height attribute (in
>     em units) and use common images as much as possible.
>
> Maybe do I misunderstand the point 4 but isn't it already the case (at
> least from a goal perspective - for technical details I don't know)?
> Common images (icons) as well as screenshots are available in source
> file preview in github [0]
> See also [1] [2] for the implementation details.

Yep, that works, because we do copying/rsyncing of
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/static
(needed for git*.com)
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/source
(needed for Sphinx)
during build.

Which makes that for people trying to build, there are always 2 copies
of the images in their tree, and often they do not know where to put the
image...

AND this only works if we automagically run the
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/scripts/find_set_subst.py
script.

But don't get me wrong, if everybody is comfortable with current
situation we can keep it lake this for now.
My main goal is to lower the bar for people to write some paragraphs or
fix some text, and I agree that maybe it will look a little less fancy,
but (personally) I'm ok with that.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde