[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Video Thoughts

Piers Higgs piers.higgs at gaiaresources.com.au
Sat Nov 23 18:23:48 PST 2019

Hi all

I just thought I'd drop a line to the list - something I've been meaning to
do for a few weeks now - indicating our support for a previous topic about
QGIS videos.  I've been talking to Cameron Shorter (CCd) about this as well
and he suggested I share my thoughts here in the QGIS Community team list.

For a while now, we at Gaia Resources have had a set of QGIS YouTube videos
(and a manual and data package) available to interested people for free,
based on a course we wrote around an older version (see
https://www.gaiaresources.com.au/services/training/online-training/).  I
thought I’d share a few things while it’s still (sort of) topical -
apologies for that delay, as I’ve mentioned in the QGIS lists before it’s
hard to get the time to do everything we want to... you all know how that
is too, I suspect.

The videos have gotten quite a bit of use across the world (there is a map
on the link above showing the spread).  I’ve got a range of really
interesting stories around people using our videos. We’ve had interest from
across the world, from students, professionals, medical workers, people
protecting rare species, the works. We’re also almost done with a new set
of videos to put up in the newer version of QGIS, and we’re using these
sorts of “good stories” to motivate us to get a new set out in between
doing our day jobs.

I’ve been thinking that there is something in amongst the recent
documentation work and our videos that could be combined somehow.  However,
I've really struggled to find a way to 'hook in' to the community efforts.

I’m keen to see if we can realistically integrate our video
generation/manual updates/data package work with official QGIS
documentation, without introducing excessive extra work for ourselves.
Hopefully this would make this while setup an asset that can be maintained
into the future.

How do you think we could sustainably integrate ourselves into the QGIS
documentation team?

Piers

--
Piers Higgs