[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Oct 16 22:53:41 PDT 2019

Hi Alexandre,

On 17/10/19 01:46, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> I must say I am quite disappointed. I would expect more support from the
> PSC, not less...

sorry if we gave this impression. we deeply appreciate all the wonderful
work you and others have done on the documentation.
our considerations stem simply for the hard fact that despite all the
efforts, the budget set out for this, and the goodwill, we are not able
to maintain a full up to date documentation.
as I wrote earlier, the only way I see to change this would be to hire
several full time professional writers, which is far beyond our budget.
do you see a different way to solve this?

> I am not sure the bottleneck is the documentation structure complexity.
> It's just not a sexy work. Like testing... People don't even like to
> discuss it.
>
> From previous talks with the "docs team" we all agreed that moving away
> from sphinx would be a bad move.
>
> I don't think many people will join the documentation effort just
> because we moved to markdown or google docs. If they do, they probably
> won't stick around for long (my personal feeling), and who ever is left
> will have an harder task to keep the docs updated.
>
> Unless we skip versioning all together, we still need pull requests,
> commits, conflict resolution... which is, IMHO is the worst part for new
> comers.
>
> BTW, sphinx can use markdown as an input format, it renders quite well
> in github, but you lose most of the benefits of using RST.
fully agreed on all the above.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu