[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:27:33 PDT 2019

On 17/10/19 11:44 am, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> I think we have to be very careful taking the results of a limited
> survey and making major changes to the project.   It's a sample set
> but only a very very small sample set.
> There has been a bit of talk around the documentation but reducing the
> efforting is the wrong way to go and I don't think we should support
> that move as it will just lead to no documentation which is how we
> started.   This is a problem for even large enterprise companies so we
> will not find a quick fix or one that works right 100% of the time.

I have quite a few thoughts to add to this thread, but probably won't
have the bandwidth to give it due attention for a few weeks.

But I think it is worth extending Nathan's comment here by referencing a
highly regarded article in Tech Writing circles from Daniele Procida
titled:  What nobody tells you about documentation.
https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/

Key message:

/There is a secret that needs to be understood in order to write good
software documentation: there isn’t one thing called documentation,
there are four. They are: /

  * /Tutorials, /
  * /How-to guides, /
  * /Explanations and /
  * /Technical references. /

/They represent four different purposes or functions, and require four
different approaches to their creation. Understanding the implications
of this will help improve most software documentation - often immensely./

I'd suggest that the metrics we see about people using StackExchange
answers is that they are solving goal oriented problems (which fits into
the How-to guides section). It is good and we should encourage its
continued use. However all the other documentation types are very
important to users at different times in their development journey.

//

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier