[Qgis-community-team] Blockers to start contributing to QGIS documentation (was: User question of the month)

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 06:57:24 PDT 2019

Hi community,

I read this morning news on docs and still not sure I understand the next
step but there's a recurring message I read and would like to explore.

Le jeu. 17 oct. 2019 à 02:44, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hey all,
>
> [snif]
> I personally find some of the technical issues as quite a blocker for
> people to help.  It's what stops me most of the time and I'm conformable
> with the tools, last time I tried on Windows I just gave up because it was
> too much work and I only have limited time these days.

Nathan, can you elaborate a bit on this please? How long ago did you
experience this?
QGIS-Documentation is a git repo so the usual git commands/software and a
text editor are enough to use it locally. But you can also only use your
browser and a github account, the same way you can do with QGIS repo. So
I'm a bit lost when technically skilled people mention the doc complexity.
(don't take it as a criticism...not my feeling at all! I really want to
know. and you are not the first person I read this from.)

And because most of us are not developers, we've spent some time to shape a
doc contributor step by step (
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html)
to reduce the learning curve for beginners and add some other stuff (eg
trying to WYSIWYG in Github preview, direct link between source file and
html pages, reviewing build instructions...).

For long time now, there's an assumption that QGIS documentation issues are
related to the lack of contributors (obviously it's part of), and the lack
of contributors is itself mainly due to a high level of requirements to
step in (which I'd really like to get metrics/feedbacks on).
So I wonder if these observations would still be relevant and if we do not
continue to convey the old feelings. I think we can improve the situation
but without knowing what would be the blockers and if they are on Docs
management side, it'd be hard to do.

So please speak up and tell us what is hard to do and let's see together
how we could improve it.

Regards,
Harrissou