[Qgis-community-team] LTR Documentation soft freeze and plans for the future

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:04:38 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Recently, richard has proposed that we avoid changing the documentation
structure of the already released documentation, that is the LTR docs.

I am +1 about this.

When we change the structure of documentation, we need to reconfigure the
translations and send it back to transifex. This is a manual procedure,
that we can't forget to do, otherwise, what people is translating on
transifex may "no longer exist" in the docs. Also, when we do this we
scramble and loss a bunch of already translated strings, making translators
life harder.

This being said, with 3.16 on the horizon, and the LTR status in about 6 or
7 months, it would be nice if we could plan any documentation restructuring
before that.

I have particular interest in moving the"static" content away from the
"versioned" documentation. I am talking about the gentle introduction to
GIS gentle introduction, the developers and the writing guideline, which do
not depend on the QGIS version.

Meanwhile, QGIS Server user manual has already been split from the Desktop
manual, and lots of improvements are being made. \o/

Regarding translations, we have been doing some testing and we will try to
use transifex integration with github to allow automatic or semi-automatic
string synchronization between the two platforms starting on 3.16.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Alexandre Neto