[Qgis-community-team] Documentation - Data Capture - Shapefile to GeoPackage

Shilo Rohlman shilor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 12:36:52 PST 2020

Hello,

I'm new to the QGIS community (coming from an ArcGIS background). I am in
the process of learning QGIS, so I was reviewing the documentation.

One of the first QGIS documents I encountered was on Data Capture in the
Gentle GIS Intro section. The brief overview gives information on the
Shapefile rather than GeoPackage. It would be nice to see this article
updated to use the GeoPackage by default so new users understand that there
is a push to move away from Shapefiles.
https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction/data_capture.html

Perhaps I would be able to help make this update via GitHub. I have used
GitHub before, but am new to the GeoPackage details and the QGIS
documentation standards, so I may need some assistance. This is a subject I
want to learn more about. Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,
Shilo