[Qgis-community-team] Fwd: Missing file

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat May 9 03:06:02 PDT 2020

We have some dataset for the training manual. If I am right they can be
found here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Data/tree/master/exercise_data

The link in current master version of doc points to a v2.0 branch zip:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Data/archive/v2.0.zip

In the mail below somebody is missing some data for the
'forestry'-chapter. It was found and I'm thinking about just pushing the
whole forestry-directory in the master branch.

BUT: that is not the v2.0 zip....
So I propose to: create branches in this repository in line with the
QGIS-(documentation) branches.
So: a master branch (for current testing/master documentation), and a
release_3.4 and release_3.10 branch for the LTR docs). In that way the
excersice data can grow/shring along with changes in the training
manual, and people always have the right set with the right
documentation version (as the download url can be created including the
branch name like the archive url above).

Anybody has a problem with that?

We had some different places earlier to download the data. We had
data.osgeo.org/qgis and qgis.org/downloads. We/I then decided to make
qgis.org/download to be the canonical/leading one...
There: https://qgis.org/downloads/data/
is ALSO a training manual excercise data and THAT one contains a
'forestry' folder :-)

Another observation:
https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/getting_started.html#downloading-sample-data

Points to https://qgis.org/downloads/data/ where the data is zipped on
our qgis.org server.
What about putting that data also (versioned) in the same(?) git(hub)
repo: QGIS-excercise-data or else a different one:
QGIS-documentation-data so we can version it too (and also update it
easier....)

Any input?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde