[Qgis-developer] identify dialog editable/not editable

humarco marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 21 05:47:22 EDT 2006

Hi Tim,

Yes, attribute editing is only possible in the attribute table. And the user
has to press 'start editing' in the attribute table. The table then gets
modal and the user has to do 'stop editing' prior to leave the table (that's
because it would be inefficient to check for added/removed/changed attributes
during each redraw). Also, i'm thinking to make newly added layers not
editable by default but placing items in the menu bar and the legend layer
popup such that people find them more easily (as you suggested). The reason
for this is that there is no need to cache geometries in vectorlayers if
editing is off, so it's a bit more efficient (and less error prone).

So my proposal is:
-Don't set layers editable by default (but make start/stop editing buttons and
a 'allow editing' entry in the legend layer popup).
-have attribute editing only in the attribute table
-have the same identify dialog in editable/non editable mode

Marco