[Qgis-developer] rendering current line in Grass digitizer is very slow

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Fri Jul 7 17:10:52 EDT 2006

Hi,

Lines in Grass digitizer are being drawn really slowly on pretty fast
computers [1]. The more vertices the line has, the slower the
rendering. The bug affects only the line being currently digitized, ie.
if you just try to modify an existing one by moving or adding
single vertices rendering is fast. But when you digitize a long line,
with each vertex added the rendering speed decreases.

To reproduce:

1. Open a Grass vector in Grass digitizer.
2. Start a new line (or boundary) by putting the first vertex. See how
smoothly the line is drawn as you move the cursor with mouse.
3. Now digitize 10, 100, 300 etc. vertices. See how much slower the
rendering gets with each vertex put. Note the slow-down does not depend
on the zoom level or the amount of features being displayed. The only
"reason" for the slow-down is the amount of vertices you have put in
the line being currently digitized.

Is this a known issue? Is my description clear? Could it be fixed?

Using SVN 0.8 of yesterday, Ubuntu Breezy and Dapper.

Maciek

[1]
PM 1,86 GHz, ATI X700 128MB, propriearty drivers, direct rendering on
AMD 3200, NVIDIA GX400 64MB, propriearty drivers, direct rendering on