[Qgis-developer] configure error

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 14:35:42 EDT 2006

Kirk,

The use of pkg-config was added to files used by autogen to create the
configure script around mid-March. Some discussion can be found in the
qgis-developer archives.

I installed pkg-config 0.20 at that time and found that it didn't find
Qt4/Mac. I didn't uninstall it afterwards so perhaps it is needed
anyway. If so, I would consider this a bug since using the --with-qtdir
option should eliminate the need for pkg-config.

Try installing pkg-config to see if that helps.

Tom

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Tom. I added

> now reads:> --with-qtdir=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.3 to my configure script. Which
>
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/Volumes/disk1/home1/kwythers/src/qgis_stable_07
> --with-\
> qtdir=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.3 --with-projdir=/usr/local
> --with-sqlite3dir\
> =/usr/local --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs
>
> However, I'm still getting the same error:
>
> ./configure: line 19937: syntax error near unexpected token `QT,'
> ./configure: line 19937: `    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QT, QtCore QtGui
> Qt3Support QtNetwork QtXml QtSvg QtTest >= $QT_MIN_VER)'
>
> I checked my system and I don't seem to have pkg-config, or pkgconfig or
> pkg_config. When you say "added earlier this year", added to what?
> Should I add this to my machines? And if I do, do you think that is the
> problem, or should have the --with-qtdir to the config script taken care
> of it.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Kirk
>
> On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:
>
>> Kirk,
>>
>> This might have something to do with using (or not using) pkg-config,
>> which was added earlier this year to help certain *nix distributions
>> find Qt4.  Since this change, I have needed to add the following item
>> to QGIS's configure:
>>
>> --with-qtdir=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.3
>>
>> Although pkg-config works on a Mac for *nix libraries, it doesn't
>> understand frameworks and Qt is built as a framework rather than a
>> traditional library by default. Consequently, pkg-config can't find it.
>>
>> Also, when you get past this, you will need to edit
>> $QTDIR/lib/libQtTest.la and remove or comment the line beginning
>>
>> dependency_libs=
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
>>> I am trying to compile the unstable head on OS X. I'm getting a
>>> configure error.
>>> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
>>> ./configure: line 19937: syntax error near unexpected token `QT,'
>>> ./configure: line 19937: `    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QT, QtCore QtGui
>>> Qt3Support QtNetwork QtXml QtSvg QtTest >= $QT_MIN_VER)'
>>> I just build and installed qt4 and set up my environment as such:
>>> # Qt4 environment
>>> QTDIR=/Developer/qt-mac-opensource-src-4.1.3
>>> PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.3/bin:$PATH