[Qgis-developer] Adding delimited text file as layer...

Schalk Snyman snymans at wbs.co.za
Mon Oct 2 06:55:42 EDT 2006

Hi Radim,

No, sorry the localisation software is network-based (though it can be
used with a cellphone with some adaptions).

I have done some drive tests with a TEMS drive test hardware and
software (which provide the measurement reports) and Garmin GPS. The
measurement reports contains the signal strength of the serving and
neighbouring cells, the timing advance (TA=1 is distance of approx.
554m) and other measurements. The cellphone was set to engineering mode
and if I understand correctly this is possible with any cellphone.

The PlaceLabs (placelab.org) localisation software, which is
mobile-based, I think, was written in Java and full source code is
available at their site. It also provides localisation functionality for
different comm's protocols (802.11, GSM, Bluetooth). The method uses
normal cellID (location is position of serving cell) and a very crude
projection so don't expect very good accuracy.

An IEEE paper that might interest you is "GSM-based Mobile Positioning
using WAP" by Chris, LC Wong, M.C. Lee and Raymond, KW Chan, 2000. More
about locating and implementation than setup, though.

Hope that answers the question (at least partially).

Schalk

P.S. I'm doing this as part of my final year project at varsity so I'm
not exactly an expert:-)