[Qgis-developer] python

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 07:06:31 EDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
> What are the perspective (time and resources necessary) to have fully
> functional python bindings? I have a customer who would like to develop
> a few plugins, and we're evaluating the advantages and problems of going
> down the hard (C++) or the easy (python) way.

Hi Paolo,

it will take just few evenings for me to wrap remaining classes and
enable support for plugins in python. But the decision between C++ and
Python should also depend on the timeline of your project. Currently
the branch with bindings uses bleeding edge stuff: Qt4.2 together with
SIP and PyQt4 which are not yet released - just snapshots. Moreover
with the many changes that happened in the branch there is some stuff
currently less stable.

To summarize it - the problem is not the status of the bindings since
they can be finished quickly. A bigger problem is stability of API and
stability of application. But, if you don't mind some minor problems
that might occur I would encourage you to start developing with
python.

Yeah, hard decision :-)

Martin