[Qgis-developer] python

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Oct 23 13:53:20 EDT 2006

Hi

On 23/10/2006, at 09:06, Martin Dobias wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>> What are the perspective (time and resources necessary) to have fully
>> functional python bindings? I have a customer who would like to
>> develop
>> a few plugins, and we're evaluating the advantages and problems of
>> going
>> down the hard (C++) or the easy (python) way.
>
> Hi Paolo,
>
> it will take just few evenings for me to wrap remaining classes and
> enable support for plugins in python. But the decision between C++ and
> Python should also depend on the timeline of your project. Currently
> the branch with bindings uses bleeding edge stuff: Qt4.2 together with
> SIP and PyQt4 which are not yet released - just snapshots. Moreover
> with the many changes that happened in the branch there is some stuff
> currently less stable.

Not sure about PyQt4, but Qt4.2 was release a week or two back. Its
going to be in Ubuntu Edgy Eft and it probably in debian testing
already. For winodws I will be packaging woth Qt4.2 libs. Probably
for Mac the same (Tom? / William?). SO its probably more the 'other'
distros that will require some contemplation in this regard... Of
course this is besides the stuff that Martins superduper python stuff
is not in head yet....

Tim

> To summarize it - the problem is not the status of the bindings since
> they can be finished quickly. A bigger problem is stability of API and
> stability of application. But, if you don't mind some minor problems
> that might occur I would encourage you to start developing with
> python.
>
> Yeah, hard decision :-)
>
> Martin

Tim Sutton