[Qgis-developer] CMake for building QGIS?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Sep 8 16:39:40 EDT 2006

Radim Blazek wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> these days I'm back in QGIS development and I'd like to get
>> Lib_Refactoring-branch back to sync with SVN head so after releasing
>> 0.8 it could be merged immediately as it has many improvements in
>> architecture and now it's hard to maintain it separately.
>>
>> Some time ago I've read about CMake build system and that KDE
>> developers have switched from autotools to it for KDE4. I've tried it
>> a bit and it looks very promising. This is a good reading for those
>> who don't know anything about it:
>> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/
>> [2] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6700
>>
>> On page [1] you can find pros and cons of this system and advantages
>> that developers of Scribus project see in it. It should suit our needs
>> well as it has good support for different platforms and also it's
>> really easy to use in comparison with autotools. I've already managed
>> to compile with it QGIS core library on linux.
>
> Can you try to compile with MinGW crosscompiler? Windows is the most
> important
> platform for us (see downloads).

Radim,

cmake generates Visual C++ 2005 solution and project files for all
subprojects (modules/libraries/etc.) of the project.
It uses Visual C++ 2005 to build programs on Windows.
In other words, QGIS may be compiled with cmake using Visual C++ 2005
Express Edition, free of charge.

I'm not sure if cmake supports cross compilation.
Here is one of latest post about this subject:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2006-September/010959.html

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot