[Qgis-developer] QGIS Preview Release 2

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 15 00:20:28 EDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 9:28 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
> On 14/09/2006, at 16:32, Tom Elwertowski wrote:
>
>> Having both is useful. The framework build is good for people
>> using GRASS or MapServer because it minimizes disk space by using
>> a shared set of libraries. My original package is good for someone
>> who has no GIS apps installed and would like to try QGIS alone.
>> There is only one item to copy or it can even be run directly from
>> the disk image.
>>

> Yes I agree having both options is useful! Many thanks for this. I
> have uploaded it to the server and added it to the download page.

I have one concern that just occurred to me - the PROJ you include in
your QGIS binary may have a problem as a universal binary.  The NAD
files are processed at build time from the text NAD data to binary,
in the endian of the build architecture.  Then when read on the other
architecture, you will get bad NAD data.  I patched my PROJ framework
to always assume little endian NAD data files, so it does byte-
swapping on a PPC Mac.

If you like, I can give you the details (I need to put that patch
info on my site one of these days).  I only have a patch for the
reading part, not the build side, since I build on Intel (normally).

A few other things after looking at your Mac binary.

- Does QGIS need QtOpenGL?  I just dumped all the Qt frameworks in my
binary.

- What about the Qt plugins?  How does the whole mess know where to
find them?  I noticed you put imageformats folder (and just that)
directly alongside bin/lib/share, while I dropped the whole Qt
plugins folder in the QGIS app, to mirror how it is in the Qt
installation.  Are any of the other Qt plugins needed (accessible,
designer, sqldrivers)?

- I missed the mapserver export tool.  Looks like it needs Python
support, and I didn't do that either.  That was something new and I
wasn't ready to mess around trying it.  I'll take a look at it later
(probably after I get my MacBook back, and I may just rebuild the
whole thing on my MacBook as a test).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy