[Qgis-developer] Re: qgs->apl (ArcPad)

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Sep 25 09:41:53 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:

>> I'm asking this because one can't setup symbology for a shapefile layer
>> in the ArcPad itself. In order to do it one needs to buy another
>> expensive ESRI software.

> Yes, that's right.
> Or you can buy a software from one of companies I worked for ,-)
> but that's not a case here.

Isn't that a funny joke of them :D.

>> But both are XML based formats and I "only" need the colors used for
>> lines, points and for filling polygons converted. I might try doing it
>> myself, but I'm not sure if it will be that easy as I might think.

> Yes, it's preatty easy task - dump layer properties to ArcGIS XML-based
> format (XML dialect).

>> I'm CCing you Mateusz because I found your note about planning for such
>> a tool on the QGIS WIKI:
>>
>> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/MateuszLoskot

> Yes, exactly.
> I have an idea of a plugin to export/import ArcGIS XML files from
> ArcPad (apm/apl).
>
> Is this something you need very fast?

Well, how do you find Wednesday morning :D?

> The fastest option is to create a script converting QGIS project file
> into ArcPad XML file. More user-friendly but more complex option is to
> write QGIS plugin.

I was thinking of the of a simple bash (+awk if needed) script. I can't
do anything more than that.

> Unfortunately, I'm not able to develop any plugins in next 2-3 weeks.

I don't have the PDA at hand now to try anything either, and the darn
ArcPad evaluation won't work in wine (it installs but crashes). Maybe I
could try installing QGIS on Windows and writing the script there,
using msys to emulate bash+unix tools. Does that make any sense to you?

Cheers,
Maciek