[Qgis-developer] qgis support for NetBSD

Brook Milligan brook at biology.nmsu.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:39:03 EDT 2006

Thanks, Tim, for the note on qgis-user regarding bug reports.  It was
very timely, as I am trying to get qgis packages built for pkgsrc
(www.pkgsrc.org) prior to the v0.8 release and would very much like
help getting at least some of the patches into the code base.

Tim Sutton writes:
 > 3) If you do write to this list to discuss a bug, please reference
 > the bug url in your email. Also be sure to mention your operating
 > system, how you built / installed QGIS and which version you are using.

I have just submitted ticket #313 with some patches that are necessary
(not sufficient) for building qgis (v0.7.4 and v0.8/preview2) on a
NetBSD platform.  Some of the patches have to do with errors caught by
gcc v4, which is stricter about standards enforcement than gcc v3.
Thus, these probably represent general improvements to the code that
are broader in scope than just NetBSD support.

In addition to the patches submited with ticket #313, there are a few
others that I would appreciate help on resolving.  These all have to
do with configuration.  One recurrent issue is that it is important to
add various -Wl,-rpath,<path_to_shared_lib_directory> options to some
of the compiler flags, e.g., to find the grass libraries and other
dependencies correctly.  How should the configuration system be
modified to accomplish this in the best way?

Thanks for your help.  I hope that this support can be folded into the
current qgis code base prior to the release of the next version.

Cheers,
Brook