[Qgis-developer] QGIS and 3D vectorial data

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:39:46 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 3:21 PM, Benjamin Ducke <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de> wrote:

> My question is: in how far is the QGIS kernel prepared to deal
> with 3D vector data? Are the data structures in place and does
> QGIS maintain Z coordinates or do they get discarded?

Hi Benjamin,

currently there isn't support for Z coordinates - as our class
QgsPoint doesn't include support for Z coordinate. However we aim to
implement proposed changes by the following RFC:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/GeometryHandlingRfc
Then, QGIS kernel will be more or less prepared for 3D data handling
(once also providers get updated to load Z coordinate).

Regards,
Martin