[Qgis-developer] Ogr database access design and plans

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:22:55 EST 2007

Hi,

first of all sorry for my late reply.

I've been thinking quite a lot about the current design and future of
vector providers, database connections etc. The things as you've
designed them can be used well with the current status of QGIS - in
case you will put the new classes to 'app' sources and not to the
libraries.

My vision is that after 1.0 we should improve our architecture for
providers - and make it more similar to the one used in OGR.
- OGR uses 'data source' for a compound of layers, this can be e.g. a
database or a directory in file system. With data sources you open or
create layers
- QGIS uses 'providers' for accessing directly layers, but there's no
abstraction on the level of data sources as in OGR. With addition of
data sources (which are currently equivalent to database connections
in your design) we will add much more functionality which is not
supported currently by QGIS like some generic way to
list/create/remove/rename etc. layers). This is I guess important part
for our future common Load layer / data manager dialog.

The future redesign is the reason why I think that the new classes
you're working on should not go to core library. Once your new
features land to trunk, we will be able to reuse the code when
introducing 'data sources' term to QGIS slang. So go ahead with the
coding, we're all looking forward to see the new features in action
:-)

Regards
Martin