[Qgis-developer] documents about writing a provider

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 4 13:04:17 EDT 2007

Hi Godofredo,

This is good news! Afaik, nobody works at mysql support at the moment.

>if not, where can I start and what could be better to write a provider
> and a plugin for mysql or develop a plugin that works on top of ogr
> provider?

I would suggest to write a plugin for the gui and use the ogr provider. Just
because it is much work to write an own provider for mysql. And I hoipe by
using the ogr provider, it will also be possible to use your plugin to access
oracle spatial through ogr.

Stephan Holl once wrote a plugin for accessing oracle through ogr.
http://www.holl-land.de/blog/index.php/2006/12/23/oracle-plugin-for-qgis/

The plugin is probably not up to date with the newest changes in qgis core.
But it may be a good start point.

And for plugin writing in general, there are the materials of my foss4g2006
workshop
(http://www.foss4g2006.org/contributionDisplay.py?contribId=50&sessionId=66&confId=1)

Best regards,
Marco