[Qgis-developer] printing issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jul 23 06:15:56 EDT 2007

Some more testing:

Maciej Sieczka ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> Just briefly tested print composer in 0.9 after Steven's fixes, in
> regard to what issues were problematic IMO. Read more below.
>
>> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
>> 1. in the map composer, line widths in the legend and in the map happen
>> to not correspond to each other
>
> Fixed! In the output PDF line widths in the legend and on the map
> correspond perfectly. This is a very important fix. Thanks a lot!
>
> However, either in "cache" or "render" mode in the *map composer* line
> widths on the legend and on the map *do not correspond*. On the legend
> it's always thicker.

the border of polygons however it is not synchronized between legend and
 map

>> 2. labels placement and size in the map canvas not always corresponds
>> to that in the map composer and printout
>
> Still valid. See the following attachments:
>
> labels_mapview.png
> labels_composer.png
> labels_pdf.png
>
> They show how the labelled points look in the QGIS map view, map
> composer and in the output pdf, respectively. Each looks much
> different. Could it be at least fixed so that the view in the map
> composer and the resulting pdf looked similar?
>
>> 3. vector point symbols get rasterized in the printout
>
> Still an issue. Is it fixable?

moreover, point size is much larger (1.4x? 2x?) in the legend than in
the map, and larger in the pdf.

>> 4. irregular letter spacing in the printout
>
> Still the case. See the attachment spacing_pdf.png. Moreover, layer's
> name is to close to categories' names below, overlapping it a bit.
>
> Also, in the composer *the very same legend* before printing to pdf
> looks completely different (font_composer.png) and rather corrupted.
> Can this avoided? What's strange, if I zoom in in the map composer once
> or twice, the legend's font starts looking same as in target pdf, hmm.
> The same problem applies to scalebar.

Moreover, row spacing in the legend appears often irregular, not
especially pleasant.

> Another, smallish, issue which remains is that the default font size
> for legend "6" is always too small too be any readable. I guess
> defaulting to at least 8 is a better idea.

agreed. also, default font (sans-serif?) does not appear optimal on many
machines.

The slowdown which we noticed appears when working in ssh-X, when images
are added to the layout (just too much network traffic?).

Thanks a lot.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini