[Qgis-developer] Qgis-developer Digest, Vol 17, Issue 17

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jul 23 11:13:33 EDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Regarding ECW to me is seems the best way to go forward on that is to
> provide support via an additional download that can install ecw bits
> and bobs into an existing QGIS install. Since this package could be
> completely independent of QGIS, just having gdal bits and bobs, I
> believe it would keep QGIS project immune from any potential license
> infringement....but Im not a lawyer so other people may have a better
> assessment of this idea....
>
> In general it would be great to have as many gdal supported formats as
> possible - bearing in mind issues like:

Note that OSX is another mostly unsupported platform for ECW,
unfortunately.  I have not been able to get it working in GDAL (tho
the shareware GraphicConverter got it working, possibly using
different ECW functions, maybe a C vs C++ thing).  Messages in the
ECW forums and to ER/Leica support have got me nowhere.

ER only officially supports OSX 10.3.9 + GCC 3.3, though I couldn't
even get that working as a test, and certainly not Intel OSX.

I'm not a C++ programmer, so I can't do much on my own to work this
out, but when it finally works, I'll definitely have a plugin for OSX
GDAL (no need to mess with Qgis).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin