[Qgis-developer] Packaging Reminder for 0.8.1

woklist at kyngchaos.com woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jun 14 16:42:05 EDT 2007

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
> I'm doing this release using the old autotool build system, primarily
> because my scripts which copy libraries and update the embedded library
> paths are all based upon the old build system.
>
> When the scripts get updated or rewritten for 0.9, they should support
> your frameworks so that, as you mention, one person can produce both a
> lightweight release which assumes frameworks are already installed as
> well as an all-in-one drag-n-drop bundle containing copies of the same
> frameworks.
>
> Until that happens, I'm only able to replicate again the same
> distribution image I've produced in the past.

OK.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to a framework build for at
least a few days - just today I took my MacBook to the shop for a screen
twitch (quite a spectacular one), and my spare PowerBook doesn't have the
space to install the dev tools.

> I haven't looked into Python at all. Your questions about module
> locations for 0.9 needs to be investigated. I'm using Apple's 2.3. I
> think this is good enough for 0.8 and no extra packages are needed.

Hm.  Well, all Python features available in my frameworks (GDAL) and other
builds (MapServer, Postgres) use Python 2.5.  I think Michael's Python GUI
work for GRASS requires at least 2.4, if not 2.5.  So many Qgis users will
have 2.4 or 2.5 installed, and/or won't mind the extra requirement.  I
like using what Apple provides, most of the time, but in this case they're
way behind, and there are ready-made binaries for many Python modules for
2.4 and 2.5.