[Qgis-developer] Packaging Reminder for 0.8.1

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 14:27:04 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> Tom, if you build with my frameworks, since it's in the wiki builds
> instructions now, I can probably let you handle it.  Bundling the
> frameworks could work, if you want, though it would be extra work, and
> would make updates more frequent when I have framework updates.
>
> Definitely bundle extra libs, like pq, and others not in the frameworks.
>
> The python extras might be trouble - I don't know how Qgis will like
> having python modules moved outside the Python site-packages folder
> (maybe you've thought of that already).  Which Python do you plan to
> build with?  Apple's 2.3?  or the 3rd-party 2.4 or 2.5 universal?

I'm doing this release using the old autotool build system, primarily
because my scripts which copy libraries and update the embedded library
paths are all based upon the old build system.

When the scripts get updated or rewritten for 0.9, they should support
your frameworks so that, as you mention, one person can produce both a
lightweight release which assumes frameworks are already installed as
well as an all-in-one drag-n-drop bundle containing copies of the same
frameworks.

Until that happens, I'm only able to replicate again the same
distribution image I've produced in the past.

I haven't looked into Python at all. Your questions about module
locations for 0.9 needs to be investigated. I'm using Apple's 2.3. I
think this is good enough for 0.8 and no extra packages are needed.

Tom