[Qgis-developer] Mac OS X build 0.8.1 avail + notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jun 23 13:19:54 EDT 2007

My MacBook is back (almost a new mac: they replaced screen, logic
board, inverter, a couple case parts).  Some other problems on the
PowerBook distracted me, so I decided to rebuild today on my MacBook
for practice (the PB build worked fine).

I have a binary on my site now that you can link to the download page
(linking the site page, not the dmg, would be best, so people can see
and easily get to the framework and GRASS download requirements).

Summary of the package: Qgis 0.8.1, requires my frameworks, also
GRASS 6.3 app for GRASS support, and Python 2.5 for MS Export, all
other needed libraries bundled in the app, includes gpsbabel
universal binary.

Some notes:

- One small problem with the msexport linking - it links libqgis_core
from the source dir, not from the relative @executable_path/.....

- for the build instructions, after a little experimentation with the
interactive cmake mode, I figured out how to easily get the new
GRASS.app builds with the version numbers in the name (ie
"GRASS-6.3.app"):

cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Applications -D GRASS_INCLUDE_DIR=/
Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/Resources/include -D
GRASS_PREFIX=/Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/Resources ..

- another fine tuning for the build instructions: I found that the
default build type isn't quite a release build.  When I explicitly
specified a release build, the binary sizes came out much smaller:

-D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that
the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy
between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war