[Qgis-developer] Build version 0.8.1 with Visual C++ 2005 Express

David Willis lists at dwillis.gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 18:27:55 EDT 2007

For anyone who's interested, I now have QGIS 0.8.1 building with the
express edition of Visual C++ 2005. Code and cmake file changes are in the
included patch. If anyone has any suggestions for making this neater, or
anything at all really, let me know.
This includes all the standard plugins bar GRASS. I've not tried any of
them properly yet but the GPX and GPS plugins load their GUIs ok.

Notes:
Of the various dependencies, only the ones that required work beyond
simply installing are listed here.

Visual studio set up using the instructions in the QGIS wiki.

Qt 4.2.3 built using instructions in the QGIS wiki.

GDAL 1.4.1 from http://vterrain.org/Distrib/gdal.html
	Also need to add the following include dirs to gdal_rasterize project:
	..\..\gcore;..\..\port;..\..\alg;..\..\ogr

GEOS by svn from http://mateusz.loskot.net/projects/geos/
	Also need to copy capi\geos_c.h.in to geos_c.h

GSL from
http://david.geldreich.free.fr/downloads/gsl-1.9-windows-sources.zip

PostGIS from PostGIS website. Needed to add .lib extension to libpq.a and
libpostgres.a

QGIS: Need to find stdint.h and unistd.h. unistd.h comes with GnuWin32
version of flex & bison binaries. stdint.h from
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/pstdint.h.

Once the solution is generated with cmake, the properties of the qgis
project need to be modified as follows (for the debug configuration only):
Open project properties and go to Configuration Properties --> Linker -->
System. Change Windows to Console.

I added the various dependency dlls (GEOS, GDAL etc) to the installation
bin directory by hardlinking with the dlls in their original directories
(fsutil hardlink create). It might be better to do this by adding them to
the path...

Debugging QGIS currently needs to be done by running from the install
directory and using Debug --> Attach to Process...

David Willis