[Qgis-developer] classification of rasters

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 5 03:06:15 EST 2007

Hi Tim,

For the project I'm working on, I need to have the possibility to colour a
raster layer (e.g. a DEM) by building classes and assign a color to each.
Afaik there is no possibility to do so in QGIS. Can I implement it in the
raster transparency branch (even though it is not related to transparency)?

I wonder what the best way is to implement this behaviour. UMN mapserver
preclassifies the expected values in a color table to make lookup faster
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data). But it also seems that
their expressions for classifications can be more complicated than simple
comparison operations. So I'm probably going to start by evaluating pixel
values against a set of classes and see how the performance behaves.

What do you think?

Regards,
Marco