[Qgis-developer] small note about PyQt

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 06:39:33 EST 2007

from IRC logs:

13:12:25  	timlinux:  	 FrankW: dont get qt 4.3.2 yet because last I
checked qt 4.3.2 doesnt have pyqt support yet
13:12:38 	: 	* FrankW sighs.
13:12:47 	timlinux: 	so if you want to plunk with pygis stuff you
should get 4.3.1
13:13:12 	timlinux: 	lets check if the bindings have been updated for qt 4.3.2
13:13:24 	PeteE: 	timlinux: I still think you need to be able to
stretch the data befor appling the color ramp, cause Marco build the
color ramp from the data type..
13:13:45 	FrankW: 	Are you serious that pyqt works with 4.3.1 but not
4.3.2? I'd be happy to get a basic qgis up and running and showing
rasters.
13:14:13 	timlinux: 	right then go ahead with 4.3.2 - python bindings
will catch up
13:14:34 	timlinux: 	python qt bindings are not a trolltech product
but a third party

This is not true. Bugfix releases of Qt - e.g. 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are
completely binary compatible between each other, so there's no need to
for updated PyQt for them. Moreover, every 4.x version just adds new
API and keeps binary compatibility. This means that if you should be
able to shuffle versions of Qt and PyQt: if recent PyQt detects that
you have older version of Qt it will just skip newer API when
compiling bindings. Also, when you have older PyQt and newer version
of Qt with some API additions, you can compile them as well...

Martin