[Qgis-developer] Some errata on linux installations of qgis

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:34:42 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 9:15 PM,  <mccue at acm.caltech.edu> wrote:
>   /home/mccue/dev/cpp/share/qgis/python/plugins/new_layer/__init__.py
>
> when I use it for qgis built from source.  This plugin seems to  work,
> except  in  case (III),  I  get error  messages in  a separate  window
> (labelled "Error"), of the form:
>
>   Couldn't load plugin "newlayer"
>
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "", line 2, in
>   ImportError: No module named newlayer
>
> The plugin manager now reports this plugin as __error__
>   __error__ appears in the name field on the plugin manager (also in
>   the version and description fields)

Isn't the problem that you don't have 'psycopg' python module on your
system? I've tried it now on my box an run into similar problems.

>   This  worked  (I had to do some tweaking--I  think  libgdal1-1.3.2 was
>   what was available so I used it).  I don't know whether these commands
>   are available on your website (your wiki  for installation didn't have
>   it--I can't check now because the wiki is down).

that's known problem, gdal-config tool in ubuntu feisty package
returns wrong library path to GDAL, seems to be OK in Gutsy.

> cmake/Python.cmake needs to be modified:
>
> Change
>
> #TRY_RUN_PYTHON (RES
> #  "import PyQt4.pyqtconfig\nprint PyQt4.pyqtconfig._pkg_config['pyqt_sip_dir']"
> #     PYQT_SIP_DIR)

> TRY_RUN_PYTHON (RES
> "import PyQt4.pyqtconfig_nd\nprint PyQt4.pyqtconfig_nd._pkg_config['pyqt_sip_dir
> PYQT_SIP_DIR)
>
> since
>
>   PyQt4.pyqtconfig._pkg_config['pyqt_sip_dir']
>
>     doesn't work (PyQt4.pyqtconfig doesn't have _pkg_config) and
>
>   PyQt4.pyqtconfig_nd._pkg_config['pyqt_sip_dir']
>
>     does (PyQt4.pyqtconfig_nd has _pkg_conifg)

Eh, I have never seen or heard of pyqtconfig_nd - what's that? where is it from?

>   With this change make goes all the way through.  Now, on make install
>
>   BINDINGS_GLOBAL_INSTALL
>
>     had to be set to make the installation work

Why? it must compile also without it being set.

>   Then make install died with this error
>
>   CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
>   /home/mccue/dev/cpp/qgis/cmake_install.cmake:50:
>   FILE Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
>      /home/mccue/dev/cpp/qgis/install_manifest.txt for writing.
>   Current CMake stack: /home/mccue/dev/cpp/qgis/cmake_install.cmake
>   make: *** [install] Error 255

I think that's because of some permissions problems. Probably you've
run 'sudo make' and that generated that install_manifest.txt file with
root permissions so now it can't be changed with usual user.

Regards
Martin