[Qgis-developer] GDAL Python Bindings

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 29 09:11:26 EDT 2007

Martin Dobias wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Tisham Dhar <tisham at apogee.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> GDAL already uses swig ngpython bindings, can't you reuse those ? There
>> is a gdalconst.py generated by swig which contains the enums.
>
> Hi Tisham,
>
> I don't think this would be a good idea. First, we would introduce
> dependency on GDAL python bindings. Second, and more importantly,
> there seems to be a technical barrier - I have no idea how to connect
> SIP and SWIG bindings. SIP must have complete information about the
> types it uses, in this case it doesn't know what's the relation
> between gdal headers and gdalconst.py.

Tisham,

Dropping my 5 euro cents, I agree with Martin it's not a good idea as it
would be like reinventing the wheel. It's not a trivial taskand it took
a *lot* of time to achieve current state of Python bindings for GDAL.

The work was started 2.5 years ago by Kevin Ruland and then was taken
over by Howard Butler (hobu) who spend number of months this year to
bring the GDAL Python bindings stable and usable.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net