[Qgis-developer] Moving forward with the raster transparency branch

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 19 10:01:40 EDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 20:09:02 Tim Sutton wrote:
> I would prefer if we can begin to adopt a more conservative policy
> with regards to merging things into head. The idea would be that when
> we feel raster stuff is useable, make a test release from that branch,
> solicit, comments feedback, bug reports etc. Then stabilise and only
> *then* merge. The idea being that svn trunk can be as stable as
> possible at all times and that we become a lot more conservative about
> letting new code into trunk. Also I would like to ask that any new
> features proposed for merge with trunk be accompanied by suitable unit
> tests so that we can have a good quality control process and identify
> early on if future changes break existing features.
>
> Other than the above reservations, I support the proposals you and
> Peter are making for refactoring and thread safety.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

I agree we need to formalise a procedure on how to merge branches back. Maybe
we should discuss it in a PSC meeting?
In my opinion, the development in branches has lead to a lot of branches that
are around for some time. And the longer they are developed separated from
trunk the harder it will be to merge the work back. At any rate we should
avoid to have OpenQGIS, DeeQGIS, SkyQGIS, PirolQGIS, ...

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler