[Qgis-developer] Moving forward with the raster transparency branch

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Sep 17 14:09:02 EDT 2007

Hi

2007/9/12, Marco Hugentobler <marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch>:
> Hi Peter
>
> I'm glad to see there is an interest in raster layer redesign.
>
> >Marco, I want to specifically ensure
> > that these proposed changes will not impact anything you are currently
> > working on. Again, these changes will be made under the
> > raster_transparency_branch first, then at a later date merged into the
> > trunk.
>
> My work in the raster branch is finished for the moment, so no problem.
>
> What about merging the current state of the raster transparency branch to
> trunk after release? Like this, all the users (at least those compiling the
> newest svn) would benefit from the work that has already been done in the
> branch. Raster redesign could then be continued in a branch.

I would prefer if we can begin to adopt a more conservative policy
with regards to merging things into head. The idea would be that when
we feel raster stuff is useable, make a test release from that branch,
solicit, comments feedback, bug reports etc. Then stabilise and only
*then* merge. The idea being that svn trunk can be as stable as
possible at all times and that we become a lot more conservative about
letting new code into trunk. Also I would like to ask that any new
features proposed for merge with trunk be accompanied by suitable unit
tests so that we can have a good quality control process and identify
early on if future changes break existing features.

Other than the above reservations, I support the proposals you and
Peter are making for refactoring and thread safety.

Regards

Tim