[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] Building image pyramids -> qgis crashing

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sun Apr 13 10:25:25 EDT 2008

Oleg Gusev pisze:
> Am Samstag 12 April 2008 17:33:37 schrieb Maciej Sieczka:
>> Paolo Cavallini pisze:
>>> I confirm the crash.
>> Paolo
>>
>> What GDAL version are you using?

>   i have understood  Frank's answer on the grass mailing list
>   as 'this libtiff bug is well known and will not be fixed'.

I could not find the phrase in GRASS ML archives. Can you post a link?
Can you provide an example TIFF that crashes QGIS while building pyramids?

>   Maybe it's time to disable building tiff overviews in qgis.

FWIW I would certainly vote for building external overviews instead of
internal. This would prevent eventual problems related to in-place
modification of TIFF file, improve data compatibility and prevent data
redundancy. External overviews in *.ovr files are no worse as to
performance or whatever, while they have advantages.

Maciek