[Qgis-developer] Cleaning up stdout for 1.0.0 and qgsmaprender renaming.

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Aug 4 17:51:19 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/8/4 Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de>:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, 04. Aug 2008 at 22:11:54 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Over the weekend I made some changes to QGIS to reduce the amount of
>> console spam (even in debug mode). It would be great to ship 1.0.0
>> with a lot of the junk removed that currently goes to stdout.
>
> That's also subject of my cleanup patch.

Ah sorry I missed that - had you posted it somewhere?

> It turns all iostream output to QgsDebugMsg and thereby makes it debug
> only and more controlable.

In some cases I have some problems with qgsdebugmsg - the file / func
/ line number is half the reason stdout is so verbose. I tried to get
some key parts e.g. plugin loading to summarise in one line e.g.:

Checking  /home/timlinux/apps/lib/qgis/libogrprovider.so : ... loaded
ok (and with 5 file filters)
Checking  /home/timlinux/apps/lib/qgis/libpggeoprocessingplugin.so :
..invalid (no type)

> I'm just waiting for the advanced printing branch to be commited...
>
> Turning QgsDebugMsg to QgsDebugMsgLevel with a higher level (say 3)
> might also be an alternative to reduce noise without actually removing
> possibly useful debug output - IMHO better than commenting it out.

In other cases the debug messages are showing things that may be
potentially useful when actually debugging but once code is tested and
operational I feel that commenting out or removing is better (do we
really need to know every time a signal / slot connection is made to
the maplayer registry for example). However I guess if we can hideaway
at a higher log level that would be good too.

In general though my feeling is that many of the debug statements
currently in our code are actually better removed and debugging done
with a debugger (I'm as guilty of this as anyone else).

Anyway perhaps we can combine our two cleanups if its not too
difficult to cross merge them...

Regards

Tim