[Qgis-developer] Cleaning up stdout for 1.0.0 and qgsmaprender renaming.

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Aug 4 18:44:08 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 04. Aug 2008 at 23:51:19 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Ah sorry I missed that - had you posted it somewhere?

Sure in [1], meanwhile moved it to [2].  The patch itself is outdated,
but the scripts that produce it should still work.

> In general though my feeling is that many of the debug statements
> currently in our code are actually better removed and debugging done
> with a debugger (I'm as guilty of this as anyone else).

Sure, debug output that is pure noise, should be removed.  Some should
be throttled using a higher debug level (and not commented out) and
really useful ones should stay, but turned to QgsDebugMsg.

Using QgsDebugMsg just enables debug output in debug builds
(-DQGISDEBUG) - release build wouldn't have no such noise.

I think - except for debugging purposes - there should be no direct
output to cout/cerr at all in a gui application.

Jürgen

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2008-May/003784.html
[2] http://buten.norbit.de/~jef/cleanup/

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-0

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden