AW: [Qgis-developer] PostGIS dialogue usability/annoyance

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Wed Dec 3 03:02:59 EST 2008

mailto:horst.duester at bd.so.ch

----- Originalnachricht -----
Von: Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>
Gesendet: Mit, 3.12.2008 08:53
An: qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org
Betreff: [Qgis-developer] PostGIS dialogue usability/annoyance

This is with qgis 1.0.0-Kore-preview2:

* Open "Add PostGIS layer" dialogue
* Connect to some database

If you now double click on a table the SQL dialogue opens, you add
something there and close the dialogue. You table is selected, everything
is ok.

But now you decide that you want to change the sql statement, you double
click the table again, the dialogue opens, you edit it and close it.

Now your table is not selected any more. You have to find it again and
select it before you close the "Add PostGIS layer" dialogue.

So the problem here is that the first click of a double click in the
"Add PostGIS layer" dialogue changes the select status of a table just
like a normal click would.

I think the behaviour should be different: Double click should open the
SQL dialogue and after closing it the table should *always* be selected.
Because thats what you want almost all the time. (Why would you bother
adding an SQL WHERE clause when you don't want to import the table as a
new layer.)

also: it is not obvious that you can open the SQL dialogue with a double
click. I think there should be another way to open the dialogue, the
double click should only be a shortcut.

also: can we do something about the default width of the columns in the
"Add PostGIS layer" dialogue? My table names tend to be wider than would
fit and "Geometry column" is smaller normally. Do we need the icons and
the text in the "Type" column? Maybe the columns could widen themselves
automatically according to the content?

Jochen