[Qgis-developer] Plugin tweaks

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Mon Dec 15 16:41:34 EST 2008

Hi All,
Sorry I was quiet so long.

> As far as I know, the required methods are :
>
> name
> description
> version
> qgisMinimumVersion
> classFactory

Exactly. They are required. Two further methods are optional but desirable:

authorName
homepage

Just for consistency with repository metadata - they are being used to fill
Installer's fields when the plugin is not available in repositories (or just
QGIS is offline).

> >  Eventually (as I think Tim may have said before) this information
> > ought to go in a config file rather than code. My plugins in SVN are
> > currently adopting both approaches, by having a config file that is
> > read by the code:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/bsrplugins/source/browse/trunk/clickfu/__init__.
> >py
> > http://code.google.com/p/bsrplugins/source/browse/trunk/clickfu/config.in

It's too late now, but we can switch to ini files for QGIS 1.1. It will no
problem to adjust the existing plugins, the qgspythonutilsimpl.cpp and the
installer.

> This is a very nice idea, as it is also infinitely safer for the user in
> the end as well. If the config file doesn't add up, no code is imported,
> and no harm done ;-)
> I assume you are thinking this might be a nice way to move towards an
> R-like way of standardizing plugis, which ties in nicely with the
> quality control testing you were suggesting above. I think this is a
> great idea, and will likely give users more confidence in adding third
> party plugins, and keep plugin developers honest ;-)

It's obviously worth of further arrangement!

> Nice work Barry, perhaps py-QGIS meeting on IRC is in order sometime in
> the near future?

Good idea!