[Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0.0 - Call for packaging

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Dec 26 13:48:35 EST 2008

On Dec 26, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> William Kyngesburye ha scritto:
>
>> For my OSX GDAL framework, I use separate downloads.  I thought it
>> seemed clear that binary distribution with open source software was
>> OK,
>> but so many others are not so sure that I decided to play it safe.
>
> Hi William,
> thanks for your feedback. Perhaps I missed your point, but I do not
> see
> how safer it would be to distribute the non-free drivers as separate
> plugins. If the licence does not allow redistribution, then it makes
> no
> difference, or?
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini, see: * http://www.faunalia.it/pc *

I'm quite sure they allow distribution of binaries.  Though with ECW
you may need to use an older source distribution (I'm using
v3.3-2006-09-06) - recent distributions changed the license to be more
restrictive (especially after Leica got ahold of it), I think, I
haven't looked closely at them.

And it looks like they allow binary distribution as a part of open
source software.

I think the main question is license compatibility, especially with
the GPL.  They're probably not (I'm no expert on the GPL), though they
try to appear to be.  Their licenses may work with GDAL, but not with
Qgis or GRASS.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy