[Qgis-developer] Open source API to convert raster to polygons?

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Wed Jan 9 10:15:04 EST 2008

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know of any open source geoprocessing APIs that I can
use to convert raster maps into polygons (as a shapefile or SQL for
PostGIS)? Does QGIS do that?

    I know that GDAL (via gdal_contour utility) can turn a raster into
lines, but that's not good enough for me. I need closed polygons that I
later intend to import into PostGIS. Gdal_contour would give usable
intermediate results (i.e, it produces lines that I think can be turned
into closed polygons), if it wasn't for the open polygons that are
created where the grid values touch NODATA values.

    I have considered using GRASS (r.poly) but I need to embed the
geoprocessing library on an research application that I will deploy to
Windows desktop computers. To be completely honest, I can't even
install  GRASS on my Windows workstation, so I have no hopes of
deploying it via a neat installer :(( . That's probably due to the lack
of intelligence and patience, and is another story.

    Cheers,

Ricardo Pereira
Software Engineer and GIS Application Developer