[Qgis-developer] Build compile error

volkan kepoglu vkepoglu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:06:25 EST 2008

*I am trying to build QGIS from source code in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, but
I couldn't. I followed the instructions in the wiki page buildingFromSource.
The following error has occurred. I think it is about GEOS. installed
version of libgeos-dev is 2.2.3-3. *

 *after then, I build geos-3.0.0rc4 from source code. this was previous
error. *

 In file included from /usr/local/include/geos.h:27,

from /home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/src/core/qgsgeometry.h:26,

from /home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/src/core/qgslabel.cpp:29:

/usr/local/include/geos/geom.h:145:2: warning: #warning *** FIXME: to be
removed, temporarly set to allow a quick successful build

 [ 67%] Building CXX object
src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/moc_qgspythondialog.o

Linking CXX executable qgis

/home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/build/src/core/libqgis_core.so: undefined
reference to `geos::geom::Coordinate::Coordinate(double, double, double)'

/home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/build/src/core/libqgis_core.so: undefined
reference to `geos::io::WKTReader::~WKTReader()'

/home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/build/src/core/libqgis_core.so: undefined
reference to `geos::io::WKTReader::WKTReader(geos::geom::GeometryFactory
const*)'

/home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/build/src/core/libqgis_core.so: undefined
reference to `geos::geom::Coordinate::~Coordinate()'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make[2]: *** [src/app/qgis] Error 1

make[1]: *** [src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

 *and then I found explanations for this error in the web suggesting to
build GEOS with higher version. The explanation is something like*

 Some Notes on Compiling Applications Against GEOS 3.0.0rc4

Submitted by dylan on Tue, 2007-12-11 19:52.

I recently upgraded to GEOS 3.0.0rc4 <http://geos.refractions.net/> in order
to take advantage of its more robust handling of invalid geometries (damn
shapefiles!). However, there are two mini-bugs in this release which need to
be sorted out when compiling against it (or at least for the two application
I was interested in: QGIS <http://www.qgis.org/> and
StarSpan<http://gforge.casil.ucdavis.edu/frs/?group_id=48>).
Note that the first issue presented here has been resolved in GEOS
3.0.0rc5<http://geos.refractions.net/geos-3.0.0rc5.tar.bz2>
.

   1.

   Several of the GEOS source files contain little notes about "warning
   *** FIXME: to be removed, temporarly set to allow a quick successful build"
   which cause compiler warning messages. While this is not a big problem, it
   makes some applications which use the compiler flags -Wall and
-Werrorbarf. This is the default mode for the latest versions of QGIS,
and
   therefore the "PEDANTIC" flag in its configuration should be set to *
   OFF*.
   2.

   A recent patch to 'source/inlines.cpp' (included in GEOS 3.0.0rc4)
   meant to deal with compiler problems on Windows causes problems for real
   operating systems. As documented
here<http://lists.qgis.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2007-February/001597.html>suggests
changing line 30 of 'source/inlines.cpp' from:

   #if defined(__MINGW32__) && !defined(DLL_EXPORT)

   #if !defined(__MINGW32__) || defined(__MINGW32__) && !defined(DLL_EXPORT)

   After doing this, re-compile / re-install GEOS 3.0.0rc4 and
   applications built against it should not have any problems with functions
   not being defined. This has been submitted as ticket
#166<http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/166>on the GEOS Trac page. "

 *so, I build geos-3.0.0. and pedantic option is off in ccmake by default.
However following error is occurred;*

 In file included from /usr/local/include/geos.h:27,

from /home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/src/core/qgsgeometry.h:26,

from /home/vkepoglu/dev/cpp/qgis/python/core/qgsgeometry.sip:21:

/usr/local/include/geos/geom.h:145:2: warning: #warning *** DEPRECATED: You
are using deprecated header geom.h. Please, update your sources according to
new layout of GEOS headers and namespaces

 *Do you have any idea? Is there anything that I should do something for
GEOS?*

Volkan Kepoglu

PHD Candidate,

Department of GGIT in METU