[Qgis-developer] [info] openstreetmap shapefile data

kimaidou michael.douchin at laposte.net
Thu Jul 3 07:30:08 EDT 2008

Totally agree with you

This is completely different way of accessing the data from osm.

You say that the osm format is well documented. Why not creating a special
wiki page on this topic ?
We can start without any line of code : what needs, what functions, etc.

Here 's a start from scratch : functionnality needed and quick writtent
related questions :

Download :
* connect to openstreetmap server
Questions/Remarks: does it exist one, several, can anyone connect to it ?

* let the user select a geographical zone from which dowload data:
Q/R : - we need a basic world map (which projection ? WGS84 ?)
- the user must be able to enter directly the box coordinates if he knows
them
- provide some quick access list (2 levels : continent --> countries)

* let the user select the features he wants to download (only primary road,
only footpahs..)
Q/R: - choose wich list of osm tags to propose (see osm wiki page)
- we can look at the work done in my previous link to get an idea of how to
organize data.

* transform the osm data into ogr format ?
Q/R : - in which format : gml (well documented, xml), shapefile, kml ?)
- Don't know how the geometries are managed under osm : simple and complex
ones (polygon with holes, multigeom, etc.) --> Is there a total
compatibility, or do we need to convert some geometries in others ?
- the converted data must be saved in the temp file of the os

Edition :
* here we must look at josm interface and see what functionnality to keep.

Ok I will stop here and wait for any remark /reply

Michael