[Qgis-developer] Openmoko (was: Qgis api windows ce)

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 06:03:11 EDT 2008

Hi Godofredo,

A colleague of mine has just pointed me towards your email, I'm hoping
that I can persuade you to think about developing qgis for the
Openmoko platform rather than windows mobile :)

The specifications for the FreeRunner phone, the first mass market
release of an Openmoko device, are very high:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner

It's the screen that really wins it for me: 480x640 @ 285 dpi. Simply
put it's beautiful, and you can get a lot of GIS on there! There are
other reasons why a lot of people think it's the best mobile platform
currently available:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Why_Openmoko

Currently the Openmoko platform runs a GTK based stack, although QT is
installable. In the near future this will be replaced by the so-called
ASU release which runs QT by default.

SqLite is already available for Openmoko; I compiled PROJ.4 yesterday
and made some progress towards getting GEOS to work.

I work for Oxford Archaeology and we are very keen on developing
mobile GIS applications. We have already provided hardware so that
gvSIG mobile can be developed on the Openmoko platform:

http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/

My blog contains more information about our plans for this device and
why we think it's so perfect for a wide range of uses:

http://blogs.thehumanjourney.net/finds/category/OLPA

Please get in contact if you would like to discuss anything with
regard to the Openmoko platform.

All the best,

Joseph

Hi:

I will try to compile the qgis api for windows mobile 5.
I have managed to compile most of dependencies:

gdal
sqlite
geos
proj

But now I found a problem, cmake does not have targets
for windows mobile platform. I have seen two possible options
one of them is generate qmake files for the api and the other
is to create the visual stuido project directly.

what could be the best option? or should I try to generate a new
platform target for cmake?

If the last is a good idea, any ideas to generate the platform
target?

Regards
Godofredo Contreras