[Qgis-developer] memory usage by attribute table

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Wed Jul 23 20:21:31 EDT 2008

Dear QGIS developers- thanks for all your hard work in getting metis out.

I frequently use a large polygon shapefile with +50,000 records in a dbf
file of 87Mb, which would crash v0.10, so that was the first thing I
checked in my new build.
QGIS v0.11 is able to open the file (congratulations).
But when I open it in QGIS v0.11, I see a memory hit of 1.2GB, around
13x the size of the file.
I am pleased that I am know able to view this file in QGIS, but this
memory usage does limit the other layers I can add.
Just thought I would mention this for information to those working on
this aspect of QGIS - is this known behavior?

Regards, Tara