[Qgis-developer] Openmoko (was: Qgis api windows ce)

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 06:36:51 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

> Regarding this thread, I am wondering how practical it is to do an 'as
> is' port to these small form factor devices. Surely it would be better
> to:
>
>  - identify which features you would require
>  - create a trimmed down user interface using libqgis_core & libqgis_gui

This is exactly what I was thinking; I think that we would benefit
most from using a mobile qgis application for data viewing and very
simple editing with the appropriate UI elements adjusted to fit the
screen size and layout.

> We could support such a minimalist UI within SVN itself (e.g.
> src/lite) and have a cmake directive to either compile the 'fat'
> application of the 'lite' one. On the desktop platform I have already
> been involved in making a few 'lite' QGIS applications that use the
> core QGIS, a couple of plugins and maptools. Its not difficult to do
> and would probably make using QGIS on such a device a more palatable
> experience.

This sounds great.

> Is there any possibility of obtaining a development Openmoko unit
> running Qt4 for the QGIS project? Perhaps there is a software only
> emulator? If so I would be interested in taking a deeper look...

Supplying you with Openmoko hardware is certainly a possibility and
I'm sure we would be happy to support QGIS in this way. Software
options are also available; there's the toolchain for porting single
apps or the whole environment can be emulated:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_under_QEMU

Thanks for emailing and best regards,

Joseph