[Qgis-developer] Re: [work] [Qgis-release-team] QGIS 0.11.0 feature freeze

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 16 02:19:22 EDT 2008

Hi

Ok let me recap quickly:

 - We aim for bi-monthly releases.
 - Code currently in trunk will become QGIS 0.11.0 at the end of this
month (first week of July actually)
 - After QGIS 0.11.0 is branched off SVN, the code in trunk will
become QGIS 1.0
 - QGIS 1.0 is is planned to be released mid August.
 - We are implementing a GUI freeze as of today (as part of QGIS
0.11.0 release process) and extending up to QGIS 1.0 so that
documentation team have ~2 months lead time to get the documentation
ready before QGIS 1.0,
 - the release cycle for QGIS 1.0  (running over July to mid Aug) will
be focused on polishing source code and bug fixing.

There are 3 exceptions to the freeze as relates to the user interface:
   1) composer is being rewritten by Marco and is not ready for 0.11.0 yet
   2) the labelling functionality is being rewritten - it was
originally a GSOC project but the student pulled out and I believe
Martin is picking up the task.
   3) If bug fixes neccessitate small UI changes we will allow it. For
example there may be a spelling mistake or similar. In these cases we
will notify the community team of the change (its the responsibility
of the committer to do this) so that if needed you can update that
particular dialog's screenshot in the docs.

Following 1.0 release we will aim to do a 1.0.1 bug fix release for
around the 20th of September to coincide with FOSS4G2008.

The 1.x releases will be API compatible and the plan is for 1.x
releases to be bug fix releases only, new development after 1.0 will
focus on the QGIS 2.0 code base which I estimate will follow QGIS 1.0
1 to 2 years later (we need to determine timelines and feature spec
still).

I'm going to post this response to the blog too in order to hopefully
make things a little clearer for the general populice out there.

Best regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net